Biography – Dennis K. Schimpf, MD, MBA, FACS
After five years of practicing plastic surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina as a full-time faculty member, I left the medical university and started Sweetgrass Plastic Surgery in Summerville, SC. My goal for Sweetgrass Plastic Surgery is simply to provide the highest level of care in a personal and individualized manner where the patient and their family’s needs are our only concern.
The initial focus of my practice at MUSC was reconstruction, specifically breast reconstruction, abdominal wall reconstruction after hernia repair and cleft lip/palate surgery.
As the scope of my practice has expanded over time to include more cosmetic based procedures, I feel my early experience with difficult and challenging reconstruction cases has given me a strong surgical experience and foundation. A strong foundation in reconstructive surgery is crucial to being proficient in performing cosmetic and plastic surgery of the face and body.
Highlight of Qualifications
- Double Board Certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery / American Board of Surgery)
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Founder and director of the Advanced Breast Reconstruction Program at the NCI designated Hollings Cancer Center / Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, SC(2010-2013)
- A national leader in the use of Perforator Based Microsurgical (DIEP) breast reconstruction. (Routinely performing approximately 100-120 DIEP flaps per year)
- Member of the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery (ASRM)
- Assistant Professor Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina (2008-2013)
- Associate Program Director- Medical University of South Carolina Plastic Surgery Residency Program (2008-2013)
- Earned an MBA degree from the Darla Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina with a concentration in International Business (May 2013)